Infolinks In Text Ads

Infolinks In Text Ads

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Book Shops




One of my favorite activities is browsing round book shops. Even in Prague and Rome, I wandered in to look at the books, unable to understand a word. I love the atmosphere and the air of scholarship. A lot of book shops have coffee areas now, where you are allowed to look at a book, whilst relaxing in a comfy chair drinking cappuccinos. My nearest book shop has a shiny, black piano on which young music students tinker jazz in the background.





They don't just sell books these days. Good book shops have become part of the community. They have special evenings with authors giving readings and talks about their latest publication. I have been to a few of these and lined up to have my book signed. Meeting an author is always a thrill and it makes the book almost like a personal gift from the author. There are also reading groups and creative writing circles meeting in book shops.





Young children are not left out, and are invited in for story telling sessions. Book shops are nothing without a good children's section, and a welcoming attitude younger readers. It goes a long way in encouraging children to read for pleasure.





One of my favorite haunts are dusty, old second hand book shops, particularly if the books are piled up high with no visible sign of organization. Sometimes, you want to chance upon a gem, like hunting in a treasure cave. An old man in a stained cardigan and wire rimmed glasses may amble through from the back room and enthusiastically congratulate you on your find.





Charities often run shops which specialize in book sales and I have found good authors there too. In amongst the pulp, romantic novellas and bodice ripping tomes, I have come across Joseph Conrad, DH Lawrence, and Tom Wolfe. The only thing that puzzles me is how people can throw away a book, to give to book shops in the first place. I have never managed to do it and consequently my bookshelves are overflowing. I seem to have a missing chromosome which allows you to throw books away.





I could really live in an oasis of literature and work my way steadily and alphabetically round the novels, poetry, travel books and art history. Book shops are a haven that the modern world can't take away. They're not bad as singles hangouts either. Consider the advantages. If you meet him or her in a certain department, you already know you have something in common. You can strike up a conversation, something like, Oh, I've just read that, it's marvelous, or Tell me, can you recommend this poet? It won't be long before you're settling down to coffee and muffins for two. It wouldn't be a good idea for me to work in book shops, I would be too easily distracted and be reading instead of selling.


0 comments:

 

©  3 column Minima Template by Bloganol